- DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...DVDs ...
+ Count Basie Big Band '77. This 1977 concert is part of the Norman Granz Jazz in Montreux series.
+ George Benson: Live at Montreux 1986. Audio: Stereo, Dolby 5.1 Surround, DTS, TRT: 103 Minutes
+ Billy Cobham: Culture Mix. Live recording made in September 2002 at the Paris New Morning club. For you Danish readers, note that the band's guitar player is a certain Per Gade :) As a bonus there is a recording of a sound check, where Billy Cobham and his new musical companions obviously had a lot of fun. 114 mn.
+ Chick Corea & Three Quartets Band: Rendezvous in New York. Filmed at New York City's famed Blue Note jazz club in CD-quality sound and high-definition video, Corea recreates the magic with the remarkable Three Quartets Band, comprised of Michael Brecker, Eddie Gomez, and Steve Gadd, performing the innovative Three Quartets for the first time in nearly a quarter century. Running Time: 53 mins
Other performances are also available, separately or gathered in a monstruous 10 DVD package. they are:
CHICK COREA & BOBBY MCFERRIN DUET / NOW HE SINGS, NOW HE SOBS TRIO / REMEMBERING BUD POWELL BAND / CHICK COREA & GARY BURTON DUET / CHICK COREA AKOUSTIC BAND / CHICK COREA & ORIGIN / CHICK COREA & GONZALO RUBALCABA DUET / CHICK COREA NEW TRIO /
RENDEZVOUS IN NEW YORK (this one is the bonus DVD included in the complete package, a movie with over 100 on-and-off-stage minutes with some of the biggest names in jazz today, reflecting on a lifetime of musical partners, collaborations and creative adventures).
+ Chick Corea: Akoustic Band. Corea on the piano, live in concert at the Philharmonic Hall in Munich, Germany. With John Patitucci on bass and Dave Weckl on drums. Recording Date: July 12, 1986. 120 minutes.
+ Chick Corea: Elektrik Band. This two and a half hour concert from 2004 was part of the tour for the album "To The Stars" and the first part of the concert is made up of a number of tracks from that album. After the interlude, the band come back to offer a selection of classic tracks including Eternal Child, Spain and Blue Miles.
+ Three Guitars: Larry Coryell, Badi Assad, John Abercrombie. 2004 Concert from the New Morning in Paris, at the initiative of Coryell, here together with two of the sharpest guitarists on the circuit who joined him on stage.
+ Duke Ellington: Love You Madly/A Concert of Sacred Music at Grace Cathedral. 2DVD. Those two programs come from Ralph Gleason's archives. The latter is a rare piece of history. Filmed on location at the premier performance on September 16, 1965, it is the first of what would be 3 Concerts of Sacred Music composed by Ellington between 1965 & 1973. These pieces combined classical, jazz, spirituals, gospel, blues music and dance were performed in churches and cathedrals around the world. Black and White, Audio Formats: Mono, stereo and 5.1. TRT: 116 Minutes
+ Ella Fitzgerald & The Tommy Flanagan Trio '77. This 1977 concert with Ella's regular backing group, the Tommy Flanagan Trio, is part of the is part of the Norman Granz Jazz in Montreux series.
+ Herbie Hancock: Possibilities. Go behind the scenes with Grammy nominated, keyboardist Herbie Hancock during his collaboration with a multigenerational lineup of artists such as John Mayer, Sting, Christina Aguilera, Annie Lennox, Paul Simon and others on the DVD for the creation of the Herbie Hancock: Possibilities CD
+ Dave Holland Quintet: Live in Freiburg. This 1986 concert at the popular Zelt-Musik-Festival Holland, Steve Coleman, Robin Eubanks, Marvin Smith, and Kenny Wheeler. Region Code: 0 (worldwide), Running Time: 59 mins.
+ Billie Holiday: The Ultimate Collection. This DVD features rare TV and film performances, an especially rare radio interview with Mike Wallace, an audio-only rehearsal session with pianist Jimmy Rowles, audio interviews with friends and fellow musicians, interactive timeline, and an evocative photo-document gallery featuring hundreds of images, from rare photos to personal letters, plus Lady Day's complete recording history for major companies. Performance highlights include 3 from 1956s Stars of Jazz TV that are seen here for the first time since their original broadcasts, Holiday's first appearance on film, and more. Tracks by Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong are also included.
+ Jazz Crusaders: The Paris Concert. Recorded at the New Morning, Paris, on November 8, 2002. Running Time: 117 mins Region Code: 0
+ Antonio Carlos Jobim & Gal Costa: Rio Nights Live. Jobim, the bossa nova star, is accomapnied by Gal Costa, performing top works, recorded on 48-track digital audio recorders, filmed in BetaVistacam.
+ J.J. Johnson's Last Concert. JJ live, playing at his best with a fantastic group at The Jazz Room at William Paterson College in New Jersey. The quintet features JJ with Dan Faulk (tenor), Renee Rosnes (piano), Rufus Reid (bass), and Bruce Cox (drums).
+ Elvin Jones: Jazz Machine. There are some heavy-duty side-men in his present “Jazz Machine”, Sonny Fortune and Ravi John Coltrane, the son of the most influential tenor sax player ever. Filmed live in 1991 at the Theaterhaus in Stuttgart. Color. 60 minutes.
+ Wes Montgomery in Europe 1965. This remarkable DVD presents two complete TV shows from Wes Montgomery's scant video archives. The broadcasts, first from London on March 25, 1965 and from Brussels, Belgium in late March, 1965, demonstrate the exquisite sensibility Wes Montgomery displayed in his art througout his career.
+ Baden Powell Live. The virtuoso guitarist who was a key figure in the bossa nova movement is featured in 2 films (Film #1 is 58 minutes of Solo guitar and film #2 is 59 minutes with his trio) and an additional 58 minutes of bonus footage with interviews of Powell, Pierre Barouh, and Claude Nougaro.
+ Bud Powell In Europe. The great jazz pianist Bud Powell in a variety of venues in Europe with Clark Terry, Lucky Thompson, Niels-Henning Orstedt, Kenny Clarke, and more. Performances are from Club St. Germain in Paris, 1959, TV Show from the Blue Not in Paris, December 1959, "Montmartre Jazz" program from Cafe Montmartre, Copenhagen in 1962.
+ Lee Ritenour: Overtime. This 18 song 2-DVD set covers his music from the 70s to the present. It covers 4 distinct areas starting out with acoustic jazz and moving into Brazilian music with Ivan Lins, fusion days at The Baked Potato including the original band of Dave Grusin, Patrice Rushen, Anthony Jackson, HArvey Mason, Ernie Watts, and Steve Foreman, as well as many of his popular 80s songs. There are also 2 new songs, one of which is a new single with vocalist Kenya Hathaway.
+ RMS In Concert With Gil Evans. Behind those mysterious 3 letters are to be found Ray Russell on guitar, Mo Foster on Bass and Simon Phillips on Drums; they are joined in concert by Gil Evans. The concert, recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1983, also features guest musicians Mark Isham on Trumpet, Henry Lowther on Trumpet, Malcolm Griffiths on Trombone and Ronnie Asprey on soprano and alto sax. Color, 90 Minutes, Region: 0
+ Mike Stern Live: featuring Richard Bona, Dennis Chambers, & Bob Franceschini. This performance was recorded at the New Morning is Paris on November 9, 2004. Running Time: 115 mins, Region Code: 0
+ Sun Ra Arkestra: Live at Palomino. 93 minute concert by the SUN RA ARKESTRA (featuring Sun Ra and Don Cherry) at the Palomino in North Hollywood, November 5 1988. Also includes an interview with Sun Ra and Don Cherry.
+ Sun Ra Arkestra: East and West Berlin. Complete concert from West Berlin in 1983, featuring the SUN RA ALL STARS (Lester Bowie, Don Cherry, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Philly Jo Jones, and Sun Ra), plus two 1986 concerts in East Berlin and a fragment from a French TV broadcast of 1970. region 0, NTSC, 153 minutes total playing time.
+ Sun Ra Arkestra: Live in Oakland. In this volume, the Arkestra prove that they are the true heirs to the Duke Ellington Orchestra, yet with the futuristic edge that is only Sun Ra.
+ Sun Ra Arkestra: Lone Star Roadhouse and African Street.
+ Stanley Turrentine: In Concert. The legendary Stanley Turrentine is showcased in his first-ever DVD concert, recorded at the notorious Village Gate in New York. Region: All / Format: NTSC / Picture: Full Screen 4:3 /
Sound: Dolby 2.0 / Color, Running Time 60 minutes.
+ World of Rhythm: Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Billy Cobham: Live in Lugano. Continuing their series of highlight live recordings of the jazz greats, TDK presents a night of jazz-rock, recorded live at the Palazzo dei Congressi in Lugano, Switzerland in 1983. The recording has been digitally remastered for DVD.
+ Joe Zawinul and Weather Update. Essential document showing the transition after Weather Report and before the creation of the Zawinul Syndicate. Taken from a show in Berlin and featuring the great Steve Khan on guitar as well as Weather Report and/or Syndicate members Victor Bailey: Bass, Robert Thomas Jr.: Percussion, Peter Erskine: Drums.
DRUMS & PERCUSSION
- Gavin Harrison: Rhythmic Horizons. DVD. Harrison is mostly known for his work as drummer in the British band Porcupine Tree. This 2nd DVD Carries on where the first left off. More mind expanding exercises that lead to exciting new concepts and ideas for bringing out creativity on the drums.
Lessons on Overriding / Lessons on Resolving / Lessons on Polyrhythmic Theory / Five full length performances / 8 minute plus drum solo / Multi track cymbal and drum films / Alternative audio mixes - with and without click / Play along MP3s /
Play along MIDI file / Printable pdf's of all lessons / Preview of Porcupine Tree's live DVD / Convenient markers at the start of each lesson in every chapter / Subtitles in German and Italian. Harrison is also the author of two books
+ Rhythmic Illusions. This book/ CD package easily breaks down the mystery behind subdivisions, metric modulation, rhythmic scales and beat displacement. The transition from mathematics to musicality is done in an easy and systematic approach.
+ Rhythmic Perspectives. This book/CD package offers mind expanding exercises to further develop the study of Rhythmic Illusions and multidimensional rhythm. These concepts are the mind rudiments for a unique way of thinking about rhythmic structure, rhythmic composition and higher rhythmic awareness.
- Jazz Drumming In Big Band & Combo by Sperie Karas, an experienced big band drummer and music teacher. The underlying principle of this method is to use material created in performance for performance. All of the important aspects from independence exercises to fills are treated in such a way that they may be put into practice with the band immediately! The CD is comprised of many examples and play-a-long pieces found in the book, allowing the student the opportunity to play alongside professional musicians.
- Joe Morello & Danny Gottlieb: Natural Drumming: Lessons 1 & 2. From Mel Bay Publishing. Developed by Joe Morello, “Natural Drumming” is a technical approach that promotes natural body movement without tension. Lesson 1 features how the hands work: basic hand positions, basic hand motions, and wrist turns. Lesson 2 explores the balance point (where you hold the stick, and why), the mechanics of stick motion, and the first important stroke, the “full stroke”.
- Joe Morello Drum Method 1: The Natural Approach To Technique. From the Hot Licks Series. Various roll techniques including the "buzz," match grip vs. traditional stick positions, various sounds on the drum head, cross sticking, matching & choosing sticks, proper tuning, many unique exercises, "stone killers," practice pad usage, natural body movement, full stroke & control stroke, finger control, relaxation techniques, soloing and more. Plus live footage of the Dave Brubeck Quartet. (62 min.)
- Joe Morello Drum Method 2: Around The Kit. From the Hot Licks Series. Single vs. double-bass drum techniques, special bass drum exercises, mixing bass drum into rolls & patterns, heel-toe technique, hihat ride style, making hihat & cymbals "breathe" & blend, hihat "fanning," swinging & keeping time, dynamics, punctuating & accents, Ostinato, thinking musically, and soloing. (60 min.)
- Modern Drummer Festival 2005. This well known event is documented on a 3-disc package. Discs 1 and 2 feature Saturday and Sunday's incredible performances and Disc 3 features full-length, in-depth interviews at pad kits, with detailed discussion and demonstration of drum technique, practice tips and more. Among the featured artists, we spotted Alex Acuña and Roy Haynes. Special Features include a 10-page booklet, a photo gallery, web links and more. Running time: 7 hours, 10 minutes.
- Motivic Drumset Soloing by Terry O' Mahoney. Hal Leonard. Book + CD. Motivic Drumset Soloing focuses on the art of drumming, the techniques and philosophies behind it, and the paths leading toward a more fulfilling and musical drumset experience.
- Pure Rhythm by Adam Rudolph. 112 pages + 2 CDs. €39.95/400. This book is for the instrumentalist, composer, percussionist, student and music educator who aims to expand his or her understanding of rhythm and overall musicianship. It is an applied guide to the fundamentals of rhythm, presented step-by-step from the simple to the complex. John Zorn, Usef Lateef, Jack DeJohnette recommend it.
- Second Line - 100 Years of New Orleans Drumming by Antoon Aukes. Book + CD. €34.95/350. Drum transcriptions, recordings and exercises of early jazz, R&B, Mardi Gras Indians, funk and brass bands (both traditional and modern). The author is also well known as instructor, performing and recording artist.
- The Jazz Drummer's Workshop by John Riley. Subtitled "Advanced Concepts For Musical Development. Book + CD. Noted drummer and educator John Riley has created an in-depth work for serious students of the instrument. Conceptual topics (time playing, comping, soloing), artist style and analysis (Elvin Jones, Tony Williams and others) and technique (warm-ups, Moeller, etc.) all come together in a fresh, educational and inspiring way. Destined to become an important addition to curriculum. The CD features Riley performing several of the examples.
- The Jazz Vibraphone Book by Dick Sisto. Book + CD. Learn from the language of the masters of jazz vibraphone by using this one-of-a-kind book with CD. It includes biographies, etudes, analyses and discographies exploring the life and music of jazz vibes legends Gary Burton, Mike Mainieri, Bobby Hutcherson, Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson, and Red Norvo. The play-along CD features Dick Sisto's expressive playing with a groovin' rhythm section, making this an exciting and complete course for vibes as well as a nice addition to a "not so often" covered instrument.
- The Ultimate Conquero - Beginning Level Vol. 1 by Giovanni Hidalgo. This book and CD is an inside look at the techniques that have made Mr. Hidalgo the #1 conguero in the world. Includes information on Technique development, grooves, soling, play-a-longs and much more. Every exercise in the book is played on the CD. The CD also contains video clips of the basic strokes. This is a complete package!
- The Ultimate Drummer's Weekend: 11th Anniversary. This is Australia's biggest drumming event. The 11th anniversary DVD features nearly four hours of amazing concert footage, workshops and festival highlights. Includes: over two-and-a-half hours of concert footage • workshops by Thomas Lang, John Blackwell, and Jimmy DeGrasso • Glenn Cannon Band • Rumberos • Drum Expo • Artist Biographies • and much more. Running time: 220 minutes.
Also available is the 10th Anniversary, with concert performances, workshops and interviews with over 20 top drummers, plus footage of the event's 10-year history. Highlights include: over 30 minutes of the Dave Weckl Band and the Dave Weckl Workshop • over 30 minutes of Virgil Donati and the Virgil Donati Workshop • highlights from all 3 days, from drummers including Graham Morgan, John Tempesta, David Jones, Darryn Farrugia, Luis Conte, and others • and more! 235 minutes.
- Michael Manring: Instructional DVD for Bass. Hal Leonard. Manring, maybe more known in progressive rock spheres, describes the techniques used on his Thonk CD, and demonstrates his approach to performing music in this DVD. Also covers: altered tunings, slap technique with a fretless bass, use of the EBow, changing tunings, and more. 52 minutes. A lesson book is included.
- Mastering The Bass by Bruce Gertz. Mel Bay publication. Book + CD. 2 volumes available. "Mastering The Bass" is a thorough method for both electric and upright bass designed to guide bassists to mastery. It begins with building strong time and rhythmic skills, a firm foundation upon which all bass playing must be rooted. Following this, students learn a wide range of grooves and practice reading all styles of music: Blues, Rock, Funk, Reggae, Fusion (including odd meters), Jazz, Latin, Baroque, Classical and more. Ear training incorporated into the method improves the students' listening skills, teaching students to hear chord progressions, melodies and rhythms. Theory lessons help students understand how the bass functions in music. Students also study improvisation of both bass parts and solos on chord changes, articulation (finger and bowing technique), performance goals, visualization, and more. Book 2 continues to build strong technique, ear skills, and musicality with obtainable goals relative to those accomplished in Book 1. A large number of shifting and position studies are presented to help players learn to navigate the fingerboard. For upright bassists, there are bowing exercises and variations as well as an explanation of bow articulations. In addition, you will find a further explanation of theory, which includes: triads, inversions, basic, diatonic harmony, minor scales, modes and simple chord progression analysis. You will also find discussions of musical expression markings, such as dynamics, and various articulations. A thorough knowledge of all of these musical elements contributes to your instrumental mastery.
- From Hal Leonard comes 3 DVDs for bass players: Left Hand Bass Techniques / Right Hand Bass Techniques / All Star Bass: Bass As A Solo Instrument. For the first time, 10 of today's most influential bass players come together to bring you the Star Licks All-Star Bass Series: James Jamerson Jr., Louis Johnson, Abe Laboriel, Nathan East, Chuck Rainey, Freddie Washington, Verdine White, Larry Graham, Byron Miller and Neil Stubenaus.
- Playing The Changes: Bass - A Linear Approach To Improvising by Paul Del Nero and released by Berklee Press. Create more expressive solos with this book/CD pack, which presents a unique improvisation strategy based on ear training and a linear interpretation of note relationships. Comprehensive, step-by-step instruction will guide you as you: develop an expectation of sound; master the movement of notes over modes and harmonies; become comfortable improvising over jazz standards; create your own chord pads to use as you practice recognizing the tendencies of pitches within chord progressions.
- Dr. John Teaches New Orleans Piano - 3 Volume Book/CD Series
Volume 1 - In Depth Sessions With A Master Musician.
Volume 2 - Building A Blues Repertoire
Volume 3 - Sanctifying The Blues
This is also available as two separate DVDs!
- Essential Tools for Jazz Piano. This little spiral bound book by Oligario Diaz (author of the two books of Latin Jazz Piano Technique) will help enhance the student's performance in reading jazz chords. It will also teach how to improvise in a block texture as well as single texture. This particular book contains many chapters on chord inversions for the piano with the left and right hand.
- Exploring Jazz Piano by Tim Richards. A Schott publication. Two volumes available:
Volume 1: Exploring Jazz Piano will help players develop their technical skills, progressing from intermediate level to advanced. This unique approach presents a wealth of pieces to play as well as giving practical analysis of harmony and tips on improvising. These volumes contain all you need to achieve professional level jazz skills, all explained from first principles. Each book has a CD with all the pieces, including some play-along tracks giving you the opportunity to play with a professional band.
Volume 2: Building on the material covered in volume 1, the second book examines advanced jazz harmony and improvisation, introducing more colorful sounds, from sus 4 and sharp 11 chords to diminished and altered scales. All styles are covered from the 1940s to the present day.
From the same author: Improvising blues Piano
- A bunch of books related to Oscar Peterson!
+ Oscar Peterson Plays Duke Ellington. From the Artist Transcription Series. 17 tracks.
+ Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces For Piano. Written by himself, those pieces are designed to empower the student, whether novice or classically trained, with the technique needed to become an accomplished jazz pianist.
+ Oscar Peterson Originals. 2nd edition. Transcriptions, lead sheets and performance notes for 5 original Peterson compositions
+ Oscar Peterson Trios. Artist Transcriptions Piano. 19 authentic note-for-note transcriptions. The over 270 page book has large pages (9 x 12) and a large, easy to read printing!
+ The Oscar Peterson Trio: Canadiana Suite. A collection of compositions written in 1964 and inspired by towns and regions in his native Canada.
GUITAR ...GUITAR ...GUITAR ...GUITAR ...
- Aebersold Volume 54 "Maiden Voyage" Guitar Comping by Mike Diliddo. Presented here is written and recorded guitar accompaniment to the entire volume 54 CD. This long awaited book includes easy-to-read music, chord symbols, and guitar frames above each example for the non-reading guitarist. Also included is a CD of Mike playing the voicings with the "Maiden Voyage" play-a-long. Special CD stereo separation allows you to eliminate the guitarist and sit in with just the bass and drums. These voicings are "real world" authentic chord voicings, not simplified sterile examples.
- George Benson: The Art of Jazz Guitar. DVD from the Hot Licks series. He covers chord substitutions, turnarounds, the Wes Montgomery style, and more. He demonstrates his signature scat-style singing on the groundbreaking This Masquerade and soloing over the famous On Broadway vamp. Also included are several virtuoso solo jazz and blues guitar performances by Benson himself
- Chordal Bebop Lines For Guitar by Jim Bastian. Coastal Publishing. A guide to developing a linear chordal vocabulary for improvisation. Written with the styles of Wes Montgomery, Cal Collins, and Barney Kessel in mind. 80 pages. Plastic comb binding allows it to lay flat on your music stand. This book is intended for the jazz guitarist who is familiar with music theory, has developed at least a basic vocabulary in bebop and jazz improvisation, has studied some ear training, and is now beginning to explore the technique of playing lines of chords. Specifically, this book is a collection of patterns that demonstrate how lines of chords can be created and used to express improvised melodies. The patterns are arranged by tonal centers of the dominant 7th, the minor, and the major. A section is included in the front which illustrates (1) frequently used voicings; (2) four note chords in their inversions; and (3) different types of chord scales. These are the building blocks from which melodic lines in chords can be created.
- Jazz Improvisation for Guitar - A Melodic Approach by Garrison Fewell. This book is a publication from the Berklee Press. It explores the potential of triads and their melodic extensions and learns you to connect them using guide tones. You'll learn to create solo phrases in the style of some of the world's finest jazz guitarists like Wes Montgomery, George Benson, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, and Pat Martino.
- Dave Stryker's Jazz Guitar Improvisation Method. A Mel Bay publication. Dave explains his approach to jazz improvisation with musical examples that he himself uses, learned from years of playing with the greats - after learning how to play jazz from listening to players such as Grant Green, Wes Montgomery and Pat Martino. Explains the minor sub approach using minor scales to play over dominant seventh chords, and then includes several solos over often-played jazz standards, using this approach. Also described are the use of the blues and pentatonic scales as well as be-bop ideas, the melodic minor scale, and whole-tone and diminished scales and patterns. Hanon-type warm up exercises and Dave's own fingerings shown in tab are also described. Perfect for intermediate-to-more advanced players. Dave plays the examples and solos on the companion CD including tracks with a rhythm only section for student play-along.
- The Great Jazz Guitarists - #2. Ivor Mairants completes his study of more than 70 years of jazz guitar with an invaluable guide to the post-bebop era. He examines critically the work of such influential artists as Tal Farlow, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Martin Taylor and Eric Clapton, and offers detailed transcriptions of some of their most memorable and significant work, allowing amateur musicians the means to emulate the masters. Mairants even includes his personal anecdotes and insight throughout the book, making it truly a unique work.
- The Guitar Chord Shapes of Charlie Christian by Joseph Weidlich. Book + CD. The concepts and fingerings in this book have been developed by analyzing the licks used by Charlie Christian. Chord shapes are moveable; thus one can play the riffs in virtually any key without difficulty by simply moving the shape, and fingerings used to play them, up or down the fingerboard. Many examples are shown and played on the CD of how this basic concept was used by Charlie Christian to keep his solo lines moving forward.
- Walking Bass Lines for Jazz Guitar by Stephan Badreau. A step by step guide to harmonizing bass lines on the guitar. The book will show the musician how to connect familiar chord shapes with the appropriate bass notes. It is full of ideas, examples, chord voicings and substitutions, as well as short chord progressions for you to try your new learned skills. All examples are played on the accompanying CD at both slow and normal speed, as well as a “drums only” version for play along purposes. Stephan has been using this approach with many of his music students to great effect.
- Ella Fitzgerald: Live At Montreux 1969. Featuring fully restored Black and White footage and remixed audio in 5.1 and DTS, this program presents a stunning performance from one of the most versatile jazz singers of all time. Joining Fitzgerald in this performance are: Tommy Flanagan (piano), Frank de la Rosa (bass), and Ed Thigpen (drums)
- Vocal Workouts For The Contemporary Singerby Anne Peckham. The vocal workouts in this much-anticipated follow-up to Peckham's bestselling The Contemporary Singer are based on Berklee College of Music's highly effective vocal method. This volume will help vocalists develop the voice through good vocal health, warm-up exercises, advanced techniques, stage performance advice and more. Includes a companion CD for ultimate interactive education!
- David N. Baker's Contemporary Techniques for the Trombone - Series
David N. Baker's Contemporary Techniques for the Trombone is a comprehensive 6 volume series covering the skills, techniques, and basic tools of the aspiring jazz trombonist. Each volume covers a specific topic.
Volume 1 - Foundation Exercises for the Jazz Player - Vibrato and other Special Effects Tod-ul Tongue
Volume 2 - Against the Grain Playing - Scales and Chords
Volume 3 - The II V 7 Progression - Turnbacks & Cycles
Volume 4 - A Method for Gaining Facility with the Various Scales - Scales, Multiphonics & Polytonality
Volume 5 - Rhythm and Meter - Polymetric & Multimetric Melodies - Fourths
Volume 6 - Exercises Based on the 12 Tone Row - Use of Dramatic Devices - Micro Tones
- Beyond The Horn by Walt Weiskopf & Ed Rosenberg. After his first shot "Around the Horn", Weiskopf has raised the bar again with Beyond The Horn, a new book co-authored by saxophonist Ed Rosenberg. Beyond The Horn highlights intervals of 3rds, 5ths, 6ths, 10ths, and introduces the concept of octave displacement. Studies and Exercises are in all 12 keys. The book concludes with 20 etudes that incorporate this new material. The large 244 page book will add increasingly larger intervals to your vocabulary and open your ears as well. Also included are author's notes on how to practice the technically challenging material. This book has been successfully taught at the famous Eastman School of Music for the past several years!
- Developing Jazz Technique for Flute by John O' Neill. A Schott publication. Book + CD. Designed for the intermediate player, this is a follow-up to his beginning level book/CD "Jazz Method For Flute". Like his first book, this book contains many exercises, etudes, and tunes writtten inthe book and recorded on the demo/ play along CD. Text in English, French and German. Includes instruction on improvisation, style and special effects.
- Doodles: Exercises and Etudes for Mastering Tromboneby Dale Cheal. Book + CD. Includes 136 etudes and lip building exercises designed to build range, precision, and endurance and to familiarize the student with the most commonly used modes in jazz in all 12 keys. This easy to read spiral-bound book will provide hours of productive and entertaining practice for all students and teachers. 173 pages!
- Jazz 'Bones: The World Of Jazz Trombone by Kurt Dietrich. 612 p. book only. €29.95/300. the author, known for his excellent book on the trombonists of the Duke Ellington orchestra, “Duke’s ’Bones”, Ellington’s Great Trombonists, traces the history of jazz trombone from its early inception through the big band era, bebop, new music, european, world music, up to the present. One of the strengths of this book is his inclusion of many lesser-know trombonists – some of whom were “monsters” albeit overlooked. Although a serious document, “jazz ’bones” is very enjoyable reading.
- Jazz Trombone by Jiggs Whigham & John Kember. Book + CD. €24,95/250. The CD features play-along tracks, video clips and full performances by the BBC big band.
- David Liebman: Teaches and Plays: A Day at the Summer Jazz Workshops. 2 DVDs! This fantastic 2 DVD presentation captures renown educator and performer Dave Liebman through one energy packed day at the 2004 Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops in Louisville. He lectures on a variety of subjects, including how to practice and the use of saxophone expressive techniques - interspersed with his unique interpretations of jazz classics backed by an all-star rhythm section. Over 2 hours!
- Maximum Mastery for Trumpet: 12 Advanced Solos/ Etudes. Written and performed by three of the hottest jazz trumpeters on the scene today, Tim Hagans, Greg Gisbert, and Scott Wendholt. Don't let the word "etudes" fool you. These are modern, straight-ahead roarin' trumpet solos with nothing held back. Only for the brave! CD includes 1 track with the entire performance and 1 track with the rhythm section minus the solosist so that you can play-along.
- Trumpets 11. Challenging Transcribed Solos and Etudes. Play-Along Book + CD. For the Advanced Player! Includes 10 modern jazz tunes by Mike Davis with recorded AND transcribed solos by Randy Brecker, Eddie Henderson, Chris Botti, Bobby Shew, Tom Harrell, Phil Smith, Ryan Kisor, Scott Wendholt, Malcolm McNab, Chuck Findley, and Jim Hynes. The CD sounds like a straight-ahead jazz recording and includes, besides the etudes and transcibed solos, occasional short solos by members of the rhythm section. Challenging but fun!
- Trumpets 11 (for Trombone) Advanced Etudes and Transcribed Solos. Soloists are all great trumpet players, yes, but the etudes and solos in this edition are in bass clef for trombone.
- Total Trombone: 13 Etudes by Michael Davis. Book + CD. 13 contemporary etudes for the intermediate trombonist. Styles include rock, funk, swing, hip-hop, latin and more. CD includes 2 tracks for each song; one track with a professional soloist playing the tunes with the rhythm section and another track with the soloist removed. This book is fully compatible with the trumpet version, also available
- Ultimate Funk Grooves. Subtitled "92 of the funkiest sax grooves known to mankind", this book & CD is for tenor sax and Bb instruments. It contains 92 riffs that showcase the different ways in which the soloist can create a distinct Funk sound to their playing. The audio CD that comes with the book contains 31 different grooves that accompany each of the riffs, influenced by the aforementioned artists, and covers a wide range of different Funk styles from the mid-sixties to the present day. The book is intended for the musician who wants to practically develop their playing style and improvisation technique in this genre.
THEORY / EARTRAINING / IMPROVISATION / ARRANGING
- Jerry Bergonzi's Inside Improvisation Series Vol. 7: Hexatonics. Book + CD. €34.95/350. Hexatonic scales are six note scales. This book presents a practical method for the construction of hexatonic scales that are useful for both the improviser and composer. Many modern piano players use hexatonic voicings by stacking the triads to create a particular harmony. We improvise “in” the sound of the voicing and using hexatonic voicings and lines can lend a very contemporary sound. As with the other books in this series, there is a play along CD to try out all of these different sounds.
- Contrast and Continuity in Jazz Improvisation by Mike Rossi. While nearly all great solos contain a delicate balance of contrast and continuity in the broader sense, (rhythm, range, harmonic interest & variation, dynamics, pacing, etc) this concept illustrates the way towards creating a diatonic, multi-colored and contemporary language for jazz improvisation.
- The Diminished Cycle by Alan Pasqua. Expands on the harmonic and melodic possibilities that can exist in a passage of music. Focuses specifically on the diminished cycle.
LATIN JAZZ / SALSA & BRAZILIAN MUSIC
- Brazilian and Afro-Cuban Jazz Conception. Book + CD. This is the new exciting series of play-along books by award-winning Brazilian flutist and composer Fernando Brandão and features fifteen original tunes in various Brazilian and Afro-Cuban styles. This edition clearly aims at being more than a simple play-along collection. For each of the tunes a thorough analysis and additional exercises are given. Editions available: Alt sax, Tenor sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Flute, Clarinet, Guitar, Piano. €21.95/219,50.
- Igniacio Berroa: A New Way Of Groovin'. New book by Igniacio, after the release of "Groovin' In Clave". This time on the program is combining Jazz and Rumba Clave for a New Sound on the Drum Set. Learn to play Afro Cuban Grooves, Jazz Grooves and Combined Grooves. Includes: play along charts, independence exercises, grooves and tracks to play along with - many mixed with and without drums. Includes CD.
- Candido: Hands of Fire. DVD. Ivan Acostas 68-minute documentary focuses on Candidos contribution to the world of Cuban music, American Jazz and Latin Jazz. Through conversations, performances and testimonies, "Candido - Hands of Fire" captivates the audience from start to finish. Candido Camero is considered to be one of the greatest Cuban percussionists to come to the United States.
- Cuban Pianists: The History of Latin Jazz. This special 2-DVD set features a fascinating two hour documentary about the history of Latin jazz narrated by the greatest figures of the genre and a superb 70-minute concert starring Chucho Valds, Gonzalo Rubalcaba and fabulous guest stars! Nothing but music!
- Sax Soneando by Javier Zalba. Bilingual - Spanish/English. A comprehensive introduction to saxophone styles in traditional and contemporary Cuban music. Features numerous etudes and five original compositions in the styles of Cha-cha-chá, Danzón, Bolero, Guaracha and Latin Jazz. (All levels). For Bb and Eb saxophones. CD included (examples and play-along).
REAL BOOKS & FAKE BOOKS
- The European Real Book. Released on november 23, 2005, this is surely the kind of book Jazz lovers will want to have, with over 430 pages of tunes by Europe's greatest jazz composers, including Michel Petrucciani, George Shearing, Toots Thielemans, Philip Catherine, Bill Bruford, Tommy Smith, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Barbara Dennerlein, Claus Ogerman, Nguyên Lê, Kenny Wheeler, Django Reinhardt, Enrico Pieranunzi, Tim Garland, Joe Zawinul and 100 others. A nice and innovative addition to the 7 other Real Book already released! 55/550
TRANSCRIPTIONS & PLAY-ALONG
- Aebersold Volume 114: Good Time. This Play-Along is one of a kind in the long row of published Aebersold Play-Along. It is indeed one book and a 4 CDs set! For all instrumentalists wishing to improve their "time", sharpen their harmonic awareness, or just experiment with different rhythm section configurations. The best way to develop "good time" is to play with musicians who have good time; musicians like Adam Nussbaum and Jay Anderson. This 4-CD SET includes 15 play-a-long tracks of various tempos and styles based on the changes to well-known standards. Each CD has a different mix, allowing maximum versatility as follows:
CD #1 is a split track with bass on one channel and drums on the other.
CD #2 is Bass Only on both channels.
CD #3 is Drums Only on both channels.
CD #4 is Piano on both channels, bass on the left, and drums on the right.
Bass and drum accompaniment (without guitar or piano)leads to better hearing, enhanced harmonic awareness, and an overall freer sound. The lack of a comping instrument also allows the mind to concentrate more on playing with a good time feel. This versatile, first-of-its-kind play along is sure to become a favorite.
- Jazz Cliche' Capers by Eddie Harris. Eddie Harris, bop player and innovative musician, compiled a series of jazz licks and recognizable themes into Jazz Cliché Capers.
- Contemporary Jazz/Rock Rhythms for Treble Clef Instruments. Charles Collin Music. A collection of etudes on rhythmic patters, swing eighths, rock eighths, jazz rock and 16ths. Suitable for all treble clef instruments. Great for anyone starting out with fusion styles.
- Wynton Marsalis: Ballads. Includes transcriptions of the trumpet parts and piano sketch scores of the combo arrangements which can serve both as an aid in understanding the context in which these improvisations were played and as a template from which you can study or recreate the inticate harmonic and rhythmic aspects of these beautiful and amazing arrangements. Also available is another book titled "Standards".
- Pat Metheny: Trio 99-00. From Hal Leonard. All 11 tracks from the 2000 release by Metheny, playing in a trio with bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Bill Stewart.
- Pat Metheny Trio: Live. 13 selections from the two-disc release documenting performances from the 2000 world tour of the Pat Metheny Trio.
- Arturo Sandoval: Trumpet Evolution. 19 solos for trumpet transcribed as Sandoval played them – true to the style of the artist that made them famous.
- Steely Dan: Everything Must Go. Their 2003 release follows in the same funky footsteps as their previous grammy winning album "Two Against Nature". This songbook includes all 9 tracks.
ESSAYS & BIOGRAPHIES
- Let's Get to the Nitty Gritty: The Autobiography of Horace Silver. Published by The University of California Press (10 Mar 2006). Hardcover. ISBN: 0520243749
This autobiography has a foreword written by Joe Zawinul and takes us from his childhood in Norwalk, Connecticut, through his rise to fame as a musician in New York, to his comfortable life "after the road" in California. Well-seasoned with anecdotes about the music, the musicians, and the milieu in which he worked and prospered, Silver's narrative - like his music - is earthy, vernacular, and intimate. Most importantly, Silver's unique take on the music and the people who play it opens a window onto the creative process of jazz and the social and cultural worlds in which it flourishes. It also describes Silver's spiritual awakening in the late 1970s. This transformation found its expression in the electronic and vocal music of the three-part work called "The United States of Mind" and eventually led the musician to start his own record label, Silveto.
- Jazz Women: Conversations With Twenty-One Musicians. by Enstice and Stockhouse. 400+ page Hardback book with CD. Jazzwomen includes 21 great Female jazz artists who are not covered in earlier books and also reveals new information about artists who are. In addition, the interview format provides the reader with each artist's own words, permeated with a warmth and immediacy not typically found in author narratives. Their candid conversations range far beyond biographical - their feelings, relationships, motivations, musical approaches, sexism on the bandstand, and attitudes. Captivating interviewees include Marian McPartland, Regina Carter, Abbey Lincoln, Cassandra Wilson, Diana Krall, Jane Ira Bloom, Maria Schneider, Virginia Mayhew, and many others. Sampler CD includes complete works by several of the artists.
- Jim Marshall: Jazz. Jim, known for his photographs of the rock music and youth culture scene, captures here the great jazz musicians of our time. He illuminates both the private and public moments of these legendary artists. We opted for a feel that frames and settles these fantastic images shot between 1962 and 1994. The result is a book that resembles a great classic even before making it onto the bookstores shelves.
This page was last updated: